Sunday, April 25, 2010

first harvest


Today is a very important day for my garden experiment... we harvested our first spinach crop tonight :~). I couldn't believe it when my first harvest filled an entire salad bowl and I probably could have picked a few more. Unfortunately, the entire harvest came from the right side plot. The left side is struggling, hopefully some relief from the hot, hot spring we've had will kick them into gear.

Here's the spinach post-harvest:


Our very first strawberry finally turned red this weekend! Check out Carson's little green snake. It's his plan to keep the birds away from our berries... so far, so good.

Also check out red strawberry #2! Not too shabby. The pot is full of ripening fruit; can't wait for our first strawberry harvest!







Update on the rest of the garden...

The broccoli is finally looking healthy and strong. I was worried for a while, especially when all of the leaves were turning green and dying on the bottom. But I think we are finally past the worst and hope to see some bunches soon!

I'm now worried about the herb box. Still haven't relocated it to my back deck and I'm worried it's just getting too dry in the hot sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment