Sunday, April 3, 2011

a little maintenance

The weather of the past few days has certainly taken it's toll.  With all of the rain we've been having, I learned a valuable lesson about my container design -- must install drain holes for overflow!  Now I know why my potatoes have been so soggy... no where for the extra water to go!  It was easy to fix in my double buckets, but with the barrels I had to just make a guess.  I just hope I didn't drill the holes too far down.

My pepper tent did not hold up to the fury of the wind.  I think it still saved them from the worst of the freezing and frost, but I'm afraid they're still showing some signs of cold damage.  Only time will tell if it's too much for them to recover from but I'm pretty sure I should plan on putting in some back-ups just in case the harvest is affected.

Next issue, one of my potato buckets collapsed.  The PVC rings in the bottom did not stay glued to the bottom bucket.  This caused the soil in the "wick" to flow out into the water reservoir creating a sink-hole.  The soil and potatoe that were above the part of the bucket collapsed into the reservoir.  Well, that's what I get for not letting the silicone adhesive cure long enough.  So I've torn the whole thing apart, dried it out, glued it back together, and now I'm letting it properly cure.  I think the potato that was in the sink hole will be ok.

On the brighter side, good things are happening with the lettuces, spinach, and carrots.  The broccoli has come up with it's cute little leaves and the strawberries are in full bloom.  I'm still waiting for some action from the beans and cucs.  I planted a few more seeds today.  Also, still no signs of life from the asparagus or the ceasar lettuce.  I put in another few inches of seed in each of the lettuce, spinach, buttercrunch, four seasons, heatwave, and carrots.  I'm hoping this will set me up for a nice continuous harvest later in the summer. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment