Saturday, April 30, 2011

garden chores

Today it is sunny and ~ 75, no rain but the ground is very soggy.

Herbs
  • planted them in the strawberry pot a few days ago, look good so far
  • a few pockets have settled so I added some more soil
Potatoes
  • these guys are growing like crazy!  I will need to hill them again soon.
  • the white bucket stays very wet, need to keep my eye on it
Strawberries
  • first red fruits were already eaten by pests :(
  • need to build a secure structure for the anti-pest netting
Carrots
  • the bucket always seems dry on top
  • sprouts are filling the bucket but they seem so small still?  I wonder when I should thin the seedlings?
  • the side planting is much bigger (of course they were planted several weeks earlier)
Bucket #2 (future squash)
  • looks sunken in, i'm concerned about the self-watering setup collapsing
  • so far I've planted several rounds of four seasons lettuce with no luck, not sure what the problem is
Bucket #3 (future squash)
  • has settled a little but no where near as bad as #2
  • good results with the heatwave lettuce :)
Peppers
  • hot/sweet bananas look somewhat damaged from the frost but recovering
  • 2 bells from Burpees look good but the 3rd one is amost dead :'(  -> need to look up the guarantee info
Beans/Cucs
  • fire ants have moved into my raised bed :(
  • several sprouts are up... made a huge seed planting a few days ago too
Garlic
  • just found out I probably planted the garlic wrong.  I planted the whole bulb... it's growing though
  • today, I gave up on the romaine lettuce and put the 2nd garlic clove, split up, in that spot
Onion/Shallots
  • look to be growing well, but they are reaching for the sun.  I've rotated the bucket a few times to help.
Asparagus
  • I had almost given up but two baby stalks were poking out of the soil today!
Spinach
  • seem to be growing well from seed, but really slow
  • still no edible harvest

No comments:

Post a Comment