Sunday, March 13, 2011

2-Bin Self Watering Potato Bucket

I've decided to add a new element to my gardening arsenal, self-watering containers.  I think they would more accurately be called "automatic-wicking reservoir systems" but that's just me.  Anyway, here is my potato bucket and my first successful prototype.  The basic concept is to create a reservoir for water in the bottom; create a way for the water to wick into the soil; and include a mechanism for filling the reservoir. 


the final product
Materials:
  • two large plastic planters (~ $15 each at Lowe's)
  • fat pvc pipe (~ 4" dia.)
  • skinny pvc pipe (~ 2" dia.)
  • Power Tools (Optional): drill, compound mitre saw, skill saw 



In this case, I've created a 2 gallon reservoir by measuring the water level at 2 g. and cutting the fat pipe so that the top container rests at the correct height.  The pipe acts as both a support for the top container and as the holder for the soil wick.  I've drilled several 1/4" holes around the pipe in order to let water freely into the wick.  Having a 2-gallon capacity will allow me a little more freedom with watering.  I should have enough water to tide me over for a day or two during the really hot days of summer.  Obviously, the bigger the reservoir, the less often I will need to water.  *Note: most large vegetables will use a gallon of water each day at their peak.










Next, I prepared the top container.  The soil wick needs to touch the soil in the container, so I've cut out a large access hole in the center.  Also, I've drilled several 1/4" holes to allow for air circulation from the bottom.  It's not shown, but I also cut a hole for the "snorkel", or small watering pipe.

bottom view of the top container

soil wick before the top
container is put in place.
Before I can add the top container, I need to put a bit of soil in the wick. 


The last step is to add the top container and I'm ready to plant!  I'm using this container for potatoes so it's a little different than just filling it to the top and planting.  I put a base of about 3-4" of good container soil and placed my 6 beautiful seed potatoes on top.  I put just another few inches of soil on top and watered.  As the potato plants grow up, I will add more soil ("hilling" the potatoes) until the box is full. 


 Can't wait to taste these yummy tubers :)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment