Monday, March 14, 2011

Whiskey Barrel 'O Carrots

My second container design was not so easy.  I have several decorative "whiskey barrels" that are actually made of some kind of plastic material.  Since they are pretty and much more expensive, I didn't want to stack them up to make a reservoir.  So after much searching for an appropriate material to make my false bottom out of, I finally found some plastic trays at Home Depot that I was able to make work. 

false bottom, a little too large for the barrel

Unfortunately, I could not get the exact size I needed in order to make a 2 gallon reservoir and leave enough room for the plants to actually grow.  So, I had to cut down the tray so that it would sit lower in the barrel.  BTW - this was after my 4th or 5th trip to some sort of home improvement store!  Next time I need a better plan!

cutting down to size(-ish)

The rest is really the same as the previous model.  A fat pipe for the wick and a skinny pipe for the watering port.  Looking back, I think some holes in the watering pipe could be a good idea.  It would allow some of the water directly into the soil and the bottom would fill faster.  I'll have to try it and see.

ready to go
ready for container mix










I planted a small variety of carrots, called Touchon, so that they won't grow too deep for the container.  Carrots must be direct sown wherever you plan to grow them otherwise they'll be crooked.  I started with a small planting around the center.  I'll plant more seeds closer and closer to the outside every 2-3 weeks so I can have a continuous harvest later.

Ok, carrots... good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment