Sunday, March 13, 2011

What's in my containers?

In addition to new methods, I've also beefed up my soil strategy this year.  I started with Miracle Gro Organic Garden Soil and added a few things to make it a little better.

the add-ins
For a container, I know that I need the soil to hold more water than you would expect in an earth garden.  To do this, I've added Peat Moss, Vermiculite, and Perlite.  This will be a slightly acidic mixture. 
black gold

My little veggies also need food in order to grow big and yummy for my kitchen.  So, I've just beefed up the garden soil with a little organic compost.  This is a cow's manure compost from Lowe's. 


beautiful container mix

The end result is this wonderful mixture where the perlite is obvious and it's a really rich dark brown.  The sunlight makes it look a little lighter than it actually is.  I'll use this same mix for all my acid-loving friends (like spinach!!) but I'll add some lime to balance it out for other uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment